I had forgotten how fun it is to code when everything works right out of the box. Today was such a day. It took me about an hour or so to get utils working in Perl. numcalc was a little more difficult, but it followed just fine. So then I tried R, knowing it to be tempermental. SWIG documentation for R is pretty spotty, since I don't think anyone uses it except for academics. But I got everything compiled before too long. The difficult bit was figuring out how to actually call my functions, but I figured that out by reading raw machine-generated R code. So then was Ruby, and that just sailed along smoothly.
So, I now have utils working in 4 languages: Python, Perl, Ruby, and R. Java doesn't work, and I still have my doubts about it because it doesn't wrap as neatly (because Java's not a scripting language). numcalc works in Perl, and all 5 libraries work in Python. Libraries that haven't been wrapped yet in those languages should be very easy to do.
So then of course Pjotr had to write to ruin my fun. (I exagerate...I'd already come to the same conclusion he did.) What needs the bulk of my attention right now is the unit testing and documentation. So that's what I'm going to start with in the morning. I read through a lot of Xin's work this evening, and we'll see how much I can incorporate that.